We Are PKA
PKA Architects is a firm of highly trained, experienced specialists in providing cutting edge, effective solutions to complex healthcare projects. We are passionate about the exacting field of medical architecture, and enjoy the challenge of providing our clients with unique and innovative designs that exceed their highest expectations in providing patients and staff with the very best health care environment.
Cofounded in 1980 by Steve Kolberg with an existing established client base, PKA Architects has provided master planning and architectural design services for clients throughout the West Coast. Our main design and planning focus since our inception has been in the medical/hospital field. With a team of licensed architects, project managers, and support staff, PKA has a deep understanding of the ever changing design needs for complex hospital facilities and healthcare organizations.
We recognize the importance of personal client contact throughout the life of a project. This is the principal philosophy on which our firm is based. Our working relationships with clients are established before the first pre-design meeting and this involvement continues through project completion. The commitment of the firm partners to service is reflected by their role as Project Architect/Manager for all projects in the office. We believe that the real measure of the success of this philosophy is evidenced by our clients, many of whom continuously return to PKA for all of their design needs. We have enjoyed long-term client relationships with hospitals, medical centers, and other medical clients for over thirty years.
- First Place $15-50 Million Renovation, Daily Journal of Commerce Magazine Top Projects, St. John Medical Center Tower Renovation (2011)
- Design Award from the American Horticulture Therapy Association, Adventist Medical Center-Hope and Healing Garden (2010)
- Second Place $15-50 Million Renovation, Daily Journal of Commerce Magazine Top Projects, OHSU Kohler Pavilion (2010)
- Third Place $50-100 Million Private Buildings, Daily Journal of Commerce Magazine Top Projects, Adventist Medical Center Expansion and Renovation (2010)
- National Design Award, AIA American Academy of Architecture for Health, OHSU Kohler Pavilion (2009)
- Honorable Mention, Modern Healthcare/AIA Design Award, OHSU Kohler Pavilion (2006)
- Citation of Merit, Healthcare Design, Kaiser Airport Way Regional Laboratory (2003)